4 HOUR CLASS, IN YOUR HOME | $550
Rooted in the belief that childbirth is a normal, physiological experience, this 4-hour intensive (one 4-hour or two, 2-hour sessions) will prepare the pregnant mother and her partner for labor, birth and the immediate postpartum period. These sessions are catered to your needs and what you would like to learn about most. Some of the topics that can be covered are:
- What to expect in the weeks leading up to the big day
- What you can do to physically prepare for labor
- How to recognize that labor has begun
- Anatomy and physiology of labor and birth: stages of labor (i.e. early labor, active labor, pushing, expulsion of the placenta).
- Logistics: when to call your provider, when to go to the hospital (if you are delivering at a hospital), and what to have packed in your hospital bag.
- How to decode medical jargon and become educated medical consumers. What are the most common interventions (i.e. IVs, fetal monitoring, epidural, induction and cesarean).
- Strategize for ways to experience your ideal birth. How to maximize your chances of having the birth you wish.
Pain Coping Strategies and
90 MINUTE CLASS, IN YOUR HOME | $200
This add-on session presents a wide range of pain coping and labor support techniques, such as hydrotherapy, breathing techniques, vocalization, positions changes, guided visualizations, self-hypnosis and massage. Birth partners will learn hands-on comfort techniques with emphasis placed on optimal positions to facilitate normal labor progress. By identifying how we intuitively cope with pain and discomfort in our everyday lives and encouraging the pregnant mother to follow her instincts, we set the stage to have a safer and more empowering birth.
Childbirth Education & Pain Coping Strategies/Labor Support
5.5 HOURS IN YOUR HOME | $720.
Save $30 if you sign up for both the Childbirth Education and the Pain Coping Strategies classes at the same time. These classes can be offered in one long session, at your home. Or, they can be divided up into two different sessions.
Private Newborn Care Class
3 HOUR CLASS, IN YOUR HOME | $300
Welcoming a newborn baby into your family is always a time of adjustment, even if it’s not your first child. The Newborn Care class is designed to give parents skills and resources before their baby is born, in order to establish the smoothest transition possible. Parents will leave this class feeling more confident and prepared to welcome and care for their baby. We will also provide helpful local resources if desired. We cater this class to whatever areas you wish most to cover. Some of the topics we can discuss are:
- What to expect the first moments after birth (newborn procedures and tests in the hospital)
- Car seat
- Dressing for different weather
- Identifying hunger cues and cries
- Soothing your baby
- Normal newborn behavior and sleep
- Developmental milestones
- How to play and interact with you baby
- Identifying signs postpartum depression
Preparing to Breastfeed
1.5 HOUR CLASS IN YOUR HOME | $150
In this class, we explore the physiology of breastfeeding and what to expect in the first hours, days and weeks postpartum. We address common questions and concerns; preventing pain and discomfort by ensuring baby is positioned and latched well, how to know baby is getting enough, and basic postnatal nutritional needs. Although breastfeeding is the natural conclusion to pregnancy and we are designed to do it, it is normal to feel anxious or unprepared in the days leading up to the birth. Prenatal preparation goes a long way in setting the stage for a smooth and enjoyable breastfeeding relationship. Partners are strongly encouraged to participate; a nursing mother will feel more confident and successful when surrounded by knowledgeable support. We cater this class to whatever topics you wish to focus on most. Some of the topics that can be covered in this class are:
- The first feed and what to expect
- Early postpartum breastfeeding relationship
- How to make time for yourself to rest and heal during the early postpartum period
- The physiology of breastfeeding. How does it work?
- Most common reasons women stop breastfeeding in the first days/weeks
- What causes sore/painful nipples? How to prevent this
- How to know that your baby is getting enough (i.e. frequency of feeds, ensuring a good latch, baby’s output)
- How and when to use a pump
- Creams, ointments, gels
Private Newborn class & Preparing
to Breastfeed class
4.5 HOURS IN YOUR HOME | $425
Save $25 when you sign up for the Private Newborn Education and the Preparing to Breastfeed classes at the same time. These classes can be offered in one long session, or, they can be divided up into two different sessions.